The Benefits of Epoxy Coatings on Concrete Flooring and Ways to Use Them
Posted Oct 11, 2021 by Dave Scaturro
While there are several types of coatings that can be applied to concrete flooring, epoxy tends to rise to the top as a preferred choice. Why? Mainly because of its high durability and easy maintenance. Epoxy coatings are ideal in the construction of industrial flooring in factories, garages, hospitals, and workshops, since their flooring is exposed to heavy foot traffic, equipment, and friction. In the commercial realm, epoxy coatings often top concrete slabs in casinos, gyms, and retail. For both industrial and commercial sectors, epoxy coatings are applied over concrete floors to create a high-performance surface.
In addition to their high durability and low maintenance when used on flooring, epoxy coatings have many other benefits. They are:
- Budget Friendly: A relatively inexpensive option can be found within the spectrum of offerings in the industry.
- Glossy Options: Epoxy coatings can yield high mirror-like finishes.
- Customizable: Their application can create an unlimited variety of style options.
- Safety: They offer better safety when anti-slip additives are applied to the concrete. Additionally, they can be made resistant to germs and bacteria, making them ideal for hospitals, restrooms, and cafeterias.
Ways You Can Use Epoxy Coatings
There are multiple ways you can use epoxy coatings. Here are six ways you can reap their benefits and maximize their decorative potential:
- Outdoor Concrete. Epoxy coatings can also be used for floors outside a workplace facility, which can result in an improved appearance to the property. When using epoxy outdoors, however, it is best to choose an option that is ultraviolet (UV) stable.
- Marble Effect to the Finish. With epoxy coatings, you can offer options to your clients that include the looks of silver, copper, and bronze, and offer shimmery coatings that include metallic powders and reflective dyes. These effects can give an upscale modern look to retail displays, offices, and restaurant settings. Colors can be customized to match your client’s tastes.
- Basement Floors. Epoxy coatings on basement floors offer resistance against moisture which avoids the growth of mold and fungus. With coated concrete, you can avoid having to deal with carpets or needing to repair deteriorated wood corners.
- Garage Floors. These floor coating systems are designed to give floors a friction-resistant surface. Their high quality also increases the durability and life of the floors, and some may even offer resistance to oils and tire marks.
- Cracked Concrete. Epoxy coatings can be applied over old and damaged floors to help fill in cracked surfaces and to level an uneven floor. A wide variety of styles and colors are now available to match other areas of a floor, something that was once only possible with traditional paints.
- Redesign Flooring. A lot can be done with epoxy coatings if you want to redesign your flooring on a periodic basis. A fresh new look of flooring may give a favorable boost to the appearance of a space, which can in turn delight employees, workers, and visitors of an establishment.
A Wise Choice
Concrete floors coated with epoxy may be an optimal option for contractors who wish to provide a durable performance yet attractive look to a client’s industrial or commercial space. With so many options available, you are sure to find the right solution to meet your client’s needs. Give Alpine a call today to discuss how an epoxy coating can upgrade your next flooring project.